Monday, June 2, 2008

Dangling Conversations

The Mountain Man took the Queen and DeBoy with him to feed the neighbor's cat. They were listening to Elton John (of course) on the way, and "Funeral for a Friend" came on. The Queen does not like the beginning of the song because she thinks it's scary, but she likes "Love Lies Bleeding", so you can't skip it because I just don't have that sophisticated of a CD player in the car. DeBoy doesn't mind the scary part. Here is the conversation as reported. You have to pay very close attention to who is saying what.

The Queen: Daddy, skip the scary part!
DeBoy: No, I like the scary part!
The Queen: No, I don't like the scary part!
DeBoy: No, I like the scary part!
The Mountain Man makes the executive decision to skip the scary part.
The Queen: But Daddy, I wanted the scary part!
DeBoy: No, I don't like the scary part!
_______________________________________

The Queen (upon learning that her mother is languishing on a sickbed, or would like to be): Daddy, Mommy isn't feeling well. We have to go to Walmart and get her a balloon!

(And Daddy, who also wasn't feeling well, did indeed go to Walmart and get 3 get well balloons. He allowed her to present me with the yellow one. She got a red one and DeBoy got a blue one.)
__________________________________________

The Queen (comforting her brother after he lost yet another toy because of using it as a weapon): "It's Okay, DeBoy, but Mommy had to take it away because you weren't listening to her. You have to listen to her, OK?"
_______________________________________

Since going to the bathroom is a group sport in this house, the kids generally invite each other along if one of them needs to go.

The Queen: DeBoy, do you want to go to the potty with me?
DeBoy (considering, then shaking his head): No, I'm all out of pee.
____________________________________________

I'm pretty sure that even Henry VIII's mother never had to say this:
DeBoy, stop eating your crown!
____________________________________

In spite of the original frog egg debacle, the frogs came back and laid another batch, so we now have tadpoles. One of the Queen's friends enlightened her as to the joys of catching tadpoles (as opposed to just enjoying watching them swim around - thanks ever so) so now she wants to go out and catch tadpoles all day. We allow her to do this a couple of times a day, but we have tried to impress upon her the trauma that her activity wreaks upon the poor little tadpoles. She remains unmoved. She will however, make allowances for certain requirements regarding this activity:"You have to wear a dirty dress to catch tadpoles."
___________________________________________

Both kids have those foam chair things that fold out into little kid-sized beds. The kids have discovered that when the beds are folded out they can get in and roll them back up on themselves. (We read a lot of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," and don't even talk to me about all those pronouns. I tried, really.) The Queen calls this, "sleeping in our raccoons."
_____________________________________________

Aside from being pretty sure The Queen is allergic to strawberries, we all seem to be back to our normal states of health, or lack thereof in the case of the parents (after 40, things just start breaking down). So we're going to get the pediatrician to recommend an allergist and start that process to find out exactly what she IS allergic to.

6 comments:

Hidden Wizard said...

Put da'boy in charge and you guys just give up! Da'Queen is out of touch and da'parental units need a break.....

da'Wizard

Anvilcloud said...

Never a dull moment, eh?

Janet said...

I'm all out of pee.

I'm totally going to use that one of these days. Classic.

Lauri said...

I'm so glad you are writing all this down! Hope you feel better soon.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I am glad you are feeling better. Your kids are delightful. Their verbal skills show that they are children listened to and valued. It is interesting how their minds work. It is not the same a adult logical thought. it is so unintentionally funny.

Anonymous said...

What a cute conversation! Kids say the funniest things.