Thursday, October 9, 2008

Where I'm From

"If you don't know where you're from, you'll have a hard time saying where you're going." Wendell Berry

Where I'm From by George Ella Lyon

Berry and Lyon are Kentucky authors both of whom I have had the privilege of meeting, which is why I am even attempting this.

Sarah and Suldog both wrote very moving pieces. The prompts, as well as another lovely example, are here.

Here goes . . .

I am from polyester, from Purity milk and Sesame Street.

I am from the white brick house with the big backyard, musty; plaster walls that were impossible to paint, gravel driveway in a neighborhood of blacktop.

I am from the snowball bush, the dogwood tree, the grape arbor.

I am from Thanksgiving dinner and music, from Mimi and Balbie and MamaEmmy.

I am from the reticent and the performer.

From plain and smart.

I am from Methodist meets Baptist turns fundamentalist after a brief visit to Presbyterian. I am from confusion, despair, unforgiveness, self-righteousness, religiousness without spirituality. I am recovering.

I'm from Tennessee, England and France, from egg milkshakes, chicken and dumplings, pot roast, and turkey with sage dressing (always separate).

From the Revolutions (American and French), the Rebel, and the Yankee.

I am from the slide projector, the reel-to-reel audiotape, the photo album, and the piano. I am from love and tragedy, loss and redemption, prejudice and tolerance, despair and hope.

17 comments:

Mad said...

Ooooo, I like this. I may have to do it myself one day. I especially like the first line about polyester, Purity milk and Sesame Street.

Unknown said...

oh, i'm so glad you decided to do it!

I especially like the last sentence...

Ragtop Day said...

Love it! I'm working on one too - hope to have it up later today.

Suldog said...

It's fun to do, isn't it? Nice job!

Lauri said...

Marvelous! What a cool exercise, I think I'll try myself.

Liv said...

gorgeous, girl. i love it.

Anonymous said...

We do this in our freshman English classes. The kids produce some beautiful poems - works they're proud of.

Anonymous said...

that was amazing!! i LOVE this post!!
i missed you!!
xoxo

JCK said...

OK, you come back from vacation with a VENGEANCE. This was awesome!

Anonymous said...

Loved your poem!

And I'm so glad to see the link about MTR on your website.

BRAVA!

For all our voices,

George Ella

Janet said...

Loved this!

Anonymous said...

I do love this, it paints a great picture! I did one several weeks ago, in fact it was my second attempt, the first having been about 18 months ago. They aren't easy, but somehow very satisfying.

Relax Max said...

I really like this post. The meme has been around for quite a while and I always like to read the various answers given. But yours is especially good. :)

I have a special love for ladies from Tennessee.

Kellan said...

"From plain and smart" - I loved this, Janet - really great!!

Have a good week - Kellan

Alison Kerr said...

Good post. I must try this when I'm in a creative writing mood :-)

Sage said...

I have had a try and doing it, but it is definitely not as good as yours...

Anonymous said...

I love this. I'm going to have to ponder this one.