I had the misfortune to be one of the few women in the world who do not gain a shoe size when pregnant. This meant I had no excuse to buy new shoes. Lots of new shoes.
I love shoes. I like shopping for shoes. Trying on shoes is easy. You wear slip ons. (Trying on clothes is hateful and miserable and time consuming.) I'm not talking Carrie Bradshaw's Manolos here. I'm not interested in spending a mortgage payment on a pair of shoes. Two pairs for $30, that's what I like. I've shopped, bought something useful and fun, and still have enough to buy groceries and actually PAY the mortgage.
Shortly after my daughter's birth, before I had time to realize that I didn't have an excuse to buy new shoes, we were driving to town when I noticed a woman's shoe on the side of the road. This is not terribly unusual. An occasional lone shoe in the middle of the road is a naturally-occurring phenomenon where we live. However, another one rested approximately 10 yards ahead. And another one in another 10 yards. It was like following bread crumbs. One woman's shoe every 10 yards, for a total of 8. The best I could come up with was some guy got angry at his significant other and stole her shoes, then just dropped them out the window as he drove down the road. At first I thought maybe she could start a fashion trend by wearing mismatched shoes. Then I realized (and yes, I was geeky enough to double check this) that he had only dropped the left ones.
At least she had an excuse to buy all new shoes.
_______________________________
Enter Scribbit's Write-Away Contest for May.
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Keeping Both Feet on the Ground Might Be Difficult
Posted by
Janet
at
9:15 AM
Labels: shoes, small town living, write away contest
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




9 comments:
that. is hilarious. and, not only a great excuse to buy new shoes but...good reason to kill the man and spend his life insurance on carrie bradshaw manolos!!!
xoxo
who doesn't love an excuse to buy shoes!!!! :)
How funny funny funny. I wonder what the story was there! And I too love shoes. I think I could live with jeans, jean skirts, solid colors tops, and a bazillion cool shoes.
Men - at least, men like me - are so different. I have ONE pair of actual shoes. They are a lovely and durable pair of black wingtips. I bought them for my wedding (16 years ago) and they have taken me to every wedding, funeral, wake, christening, party, or whatever, ever since.
Oh, you women!
That's kind of funny in and of itself. I hope those involved will be able to laugh too.
Perhaps, a lady shopper who was a right legged uniped , still able to drive an automatic car, was just throwing the left one away.:))
Noooo! Not the shooeeess!!
I tried to buy new shoes this morning. Elyse would have none of it, promptly heading for the door and waiting for someone else to enter the store so she could escape. I gave up. That little girl saves me money.
Oh I love this one! A mystery and shoes to boot. HA! Boot--get it?
Fascinating! I find it funny, but I'm sure the woman with only one of each shoe pair didn't find it so. Classic story!
Post a Comment