Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Longish Wait

It was love at first sight, for me at least. He took a little longer. And I did kiss him first. It seemed that I always kissed him first. But he didn't mind. He would smile and laugh. And I knew he loved me.

But I waited for the day-when he would kiss me first. I didn't push it. I didn't ask, I never scolded. I was unusually patient.

We spent many months getting to know each other. I learned what made him happy and unhappy, and he learned the same about me. There were some bad days, but mostly good days. We were happy.

We'd been together for just over two years. One night as we were getting ready for bed, he threw his arms around my neck and gave me a big kiss.

And he said, "I love you, Mommy!"

_________________________________

Enter Scribbit's Write Away Contest for August.

16 comments:

The Laundress said...

That is adorable!!!!!

maria said...

Aaaaawww... precious!!

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

"Good things come to those who wait!" Or so I thought. I waited all my life for my father to tell me he loved me. My mother, who said it daily and often, reassured me he did. He was a wounded soul.

Janet said...

And now he is yours, forever. my son has a soft spot for his mama. and i love it!

Anonymous said...

How sweet, sweet, sweet!!!

AnneDroid said...

That's just lovely. I'll think about it as I drive to work this morning. A nice post to read to start the day.

the planet of janet said...

that is SO sweet!

the planet of janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sage said...

That was so good.. it provides that feel good moment when you read it.. always a winner.

Anvilcloud said...

Some guys are slow to commit. ;)

Scribbit said...

This is the perfect entry!

Short, sweet, a twist, LOVE it!

Melissa said...

oh how sweet. I keep waiting for lucy to start giving kisses. She likes makeing the kissing noise, but that is about it!

Anonymous said...

OHhhhhhhh love that. Love Hugs and Blessings

Stephanie Appleton said...

how sweet! Great story!

Gabrielle said...

super sweet! made me smile!

Mozi Esme said...

Awww - what a sweet twist at the end!

Scarily, my baby has been well-versed at giving kisses from very young. Definitely the take charge type, that girl.