Monday, February 9, 2009

I learned today that an old friend died in October. She wasn't old in age, far too young to die, but we were close friends 20 years ago when I still lived in Nashville.

She was the first real director I ever auditioned for, and she was very gracious and did not laugh at me for being woefully unqualified as an actor. She asked if I would be willing to work as part of the backstage crew and I jumped at the chance. I ended up being the properties master for that show as well as many subsequent shows. I also designed and produced the programs and promotional materials for those shows.

She started referring to me as the "Prop Queen" because I had an eye for knowing what was needed on stage, as well as being able to find obscure items.

I helped her with a theatre workshop for kids during the summer I was in grad school and didn't have a regular job.

I learned so much about theatre from her, and I credit her with the fact that I have been able to take part in theatre productions here, even though I was never on stage for any of her productions.

At the time she had two kids, ages 4 and 2, and I started babysitting them so she and her husband could go out. I still have the pictures they drew for me. I stayed overnight with them while she went to the hospital for the third baby.

After I got married (the first time) and moved away, she and the kids came up and stayed with us and she gave a Shakespeare presentation for the college students where I worked. It was the first time some of those kids had ever heard of Shakespeare and she made him very accessible and interesting, even to the most resistant of students.

We talked on the phone often those first few years, which was no mean feat because neither of us had a lot of money and there were no free cell minutes in those days. And I really hate talking on the phone. Occasionally I'd go home to Nashville for various things and I'd run by their house and visit for awhile.

The last time I saw them was at my wedding to the Mountain Man in 2003. By that time we had been reduced to the very occasional email and the Christmas card letter. Her two older kids were in college and the youngest was in high school. I had my two babies. We exchanged pictures of their progress.

So this year I sent them a picture and letter as usual. (Well, not as usual, since I didn't send any out until nearly the end of January.)

And today I received their letter and picture. It was actually a montage of 3 pictures of the family members. The only caption was "Blessed are those who mourn." And I knew.

He didn't say what had happened, but I gather she'd been ill and the death was not unexpected. Her older daughter was married in December - a lovely event for which I know she planned and anticipated with great excitement. And then slipped away before it took place.

And I feel so sad and guilty that I didn't know.

I didn't know she'd been ill. I didn't know she had died.

How is it that you can lose touch so completely that you don't even know when a dear friend dies?

How do we drift so far apart that you aren't among the people to call for help when it's needed?

I want to go through my whole address book and call everybody I know and make sure they're OK and see if they need anything.

Just in case I need to say goodbye.

19 comments:

Crazed Nitwit said...

I'm alive. Plan to stay that way. As you know I just learned a friend of mine died 12/15/08. For 6 weeks I did not know. I knew she had breast cancer with mets but I did not know how she went from hanging in to dead in three short weeks.

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend and that you did nit get the chance to say goodbye.

Hugs.

Sage said...

Blessed are the memories of your time with your friend, they keep her alive in your thoughts long after her death which seems far too young.

Sometimes we do lose touch with friends, not deliberately, but because events and time move swiftly on and yet another year passes by.

{{hugs}}

Lauri said...

I'm crying. The line that really hit me was "How do we drift so far apart that you aren't among the people to call for help when it's needed?"

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Patois42 said...

This makes me so very sad. All the feelings we had for them come back full force in a time like this. I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry you didn't get to say goodbye.

Suldog said...

You truly can't blame yourself - at least not totally. The other people, who were once part of your life, also could make the effort to stay in touch with you, of course.

That said, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's death. I'm saying prayer for both of you as soon as I post this.

Anonymous said...

I hate it when stuff like this happens. I know it's part of life...but it's a crappy part of life.

Anvilcloud said...

Life happens, and people move on. But you didn't forget, and neither did she. Now, you have said a meaningful goodbye in almost the only way that you could.

Anonymous said...

oh honey. i'm sorry.
big, huge, gigantic, tremendous hugs.
got them?
xoxo

Relax Max said...

Sad. Makes me think of all the old friends who were at one time so close, and with whom I too have lost touch over the years. Good times. Long gone. Life. Two roads diverged in a wood. Who knows. And your post also reminded me of some of the words in that Beatle song sung at your wedding. You did nothing wrong.

Me Mum was born in Nashville, ever so long ago. She's long gone too, of course.

Alison Kerr said...

Janet, I'm sorry that you lost your friend and that you were not able to visit with her and say goodbye. I hope that the memories you have will prove to be a comfort, maybe not straight away, but given time...

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I am sorry you feel badly, as if your let your friend down. I am sure she had very fond memories of you; as you, her!

I have friends of years past that I think of often, smile at what we meant to each other back then. Some I hesitate to contract for the memory is rich and youthful and of another time. Contact would destroy that somehow.

Paula said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. I just had a conversation along these lines with my husband the other day...about how I've found myself drifting further away from my dear friends in Kentucky because I don't see them as often. It does seem as though the emails and phone calls are becoming fewer and fewer, and that makes me sad. But I can change that, can't I? I know I should make more of an effort to keep in touch with those who mean so much to me. After reading your post, I will.

I am so sorry for your sadness and the loss of your friend, Janet.

Thinking of you,
Paula

P.S. I'm going to go now and call my best friend from high school.....

david mcmahon said...

Hi Janet,

I came here from Suldog's blog. Apart from being raised on AA Milne and other magical writers, I must say this post has real relevance for my city, Melbourne, where the death toll from this week's bushfires will soon rise higher than the Mumbai terror attacks.

Merisi said...

I came over from David's "Post of the Day" award:

I think friendship, real friendships, are those that can endure periods where we are too busy with our lives to stay in contact with all we love. It was unfortunate that your friend died during such a period, but I am sure she cherished knowing you just as much as you do.
I wish you peace and comfort.

Jeni said...

This post sure does give one something to think about and a darned good reason to try to reconnect with folks you have fallen out of touch with and to keep a closer check too on family and friends you still do communicate with. One never knows what tomorrow holds and if we wait, it could be too late -to say hello, just me again, stopping by to see how you are or whatever. Very wise words in your post and very much deserving too of David's mention in his "post of the day."
Peace.

Natalie said...

Hi Janet, I am here through David's blog.
I am sorry for your situation - it is one that is certainly difficult to get through. Regret will only hurt you, and I am sure your friend would not wish that.

Like someone said before me, it takes two to really stay 'connected' so don't beat yourself up too much for things that don't fall under the umbrella of your responsibility.
Live your life to the full, and if something wonderful comes up - dedicate it to your friend and you will feel much better. She will be watching and smiling from a distance.

larkswing said...

Very touching and thought AND action provoking post!

Over from David's . . . Congrats on POTD.

Ragtop Day said...

Janet - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. And I feel bad about the tardiness of expressing that, since this post never showed up in my reader, and it wasn't until you referenced it in today's post about the things your kids have been saying that I went back to find it.

Special people don't become less special when our lives take us in different directions. Our focus just changes, sometimes temporarily, sometimes not, but the specialness never disappears. I'm sorry you are missing your friend, and hope the treasure trove of memories you have of her will live on forever.

Sandi McBride said...

She knew. In her heart of hearts, she knew...and we never really say goodbye...we just say "see you later"...whisper it...she'll hear you.
Sandi
ps
congrats on Post of the Day from David