I had a most interesting experience this evening. I took the kids to the city pool for the afternoon, after which I planned to go to the grocery store, then home to dinner.
*pause whilst you guffaw at the "plan" word*
So when the pool closed at 6 pm (which is the only way to get my kids out of it), the kids decided they wanted to play on the playground "just for a few minutes."
*pause for further laughter*
The Mountain Man met us at the playground. At approximately 7, we dragged the Queen off the playground amidst great howls of protestation. (See what happens when I don't blog very often? I get all verbose. Not to be confused with verklempt, which will happen later.)
So obviously, everyone is hungry. So the Mountain Man took the Queen to the world of Wally, in which resides a Subway (she likes the turkey and cheese sandwiches). I took DeBoy to eat and go to Food City. Because while we can get groceries at WallyWorld, I try to support the only real grocery store left in our town. And there are things we can get there that aren't available at WallyWorld. Or like the Ohs cereal, is actually more expensive at WallyWorld. You have to pay attention. They don't ALWAYS have the lowest prices.
Where the heck was I?
Oh, yes, McDonald's.
*What?*
DeBoy wanted to eat at McDonald's. Now, remember that I had not PLANNED (there's that silly word again) to eat out this evening. Therefore I had almost no money left, and what I did have was in quarters. So we dug all the change out of the ashtrays of both cars and came up with just over $7. In addition, I was not looking my best, having been in a swimming pool most of the afternoon, followed by an hour of hot sweaty playground. And not in a good way.
So here I am in McDonald's, counting out change for dinner for DeBoy and me, in my flip-flops, a T-shirt and shorts, and DeBoy in his brand-new vacation t-shirt that was way too big for him and made him look a bit like a waif, and both of us with ratty-looking hair. After the cashier gave me the total I apologized for all the quarters I handed her and then I showed DeBoy what was left.
"Look, DeBoy, we have 19 cents left!"
And we sat down and ate. Approximately halfway through the meal I felt a hand on my shoulder and a gentleman said, "That's for if you need something else to eat," and slipped some money under my tray.
I was quite surprised, and all I could think to say was, "Oh!!! Bless you, sir, thank you!" and he was GONE. He had been behind us in line, because in a small town you always smile and nod to everyone in line, because they might be related to someone you know, or at least the friend of a friend.
Then I looked at the money, thinking it would be a couple of bucks.
It was a twenty.
So now I'm feeling incredibly guilty, because obviously this man came to the conclusion that I was down to my last money to feed my child, when the plain truth of the matter is, I just hadn't been to the bank and I didn't want to use my credit card at McDonald's. But I couldn't tell him that because first of all, he was gone before I figured all this out, and secondly, you do NOT second-guess a genuine act of kindness. He interpreted a silly and thoughtless remark as being real need.
However, we really DON'T need the money, and so many others do.
So in the spirit of that lovely man's generosity, I'm going to pay it forward. I'm not sure how yet, but I told the Mountain Man the whole story and the $20 is sitting on top of the counter, waiting for us to be creative.
And I have learned yet again that brain should be engaged before mouth is put in gear.
(And in case you were wondering, DeBoy and I finally made it to the grocery store as well.)
Monday, July 13, 2009
Pay It Forward
Posted by
Janet
at
10:15 PM
Labels: it's all about me, kids, odds and ends, small town living
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




22 comments:
What a fabulous gentleman! You could always split it into 10's or five and spread the wealth around.
A nice reminder the world isn't all evil. :) HUGS!
wow.
just ... wow.
Isn't it great when a stranger restores your faith in mankind. Love Hug and Blessings
you are a good man, ha-ha. :)
Healthy Life & Marvelous world
What a wonderful gesture on his part, and will be on yours to someone else..
Loved the word planned... true to form I laughed my socks off... don't we all plan but something always manages to intefere with those plans for another purpose.
Nice to see you back, I missed you xx
What a neat story. I'll look forward to part 2.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this story. And I have the perfect way for you to spend that money. On my fundraiser of course!! That man gave out of the goodness of his heart and I'm fundraising in honor of my Dad's new heart!! Perfect match!!
Seriosuly...just a suggestion. Whatever you do with it will be awesome. I love the idea of pay it forward.
Hallie :)
http://www.firstgiving.com/hallietwomey
Great story! A similar thing happened to me. I was in a restaurant in a department store. Remember when we had those? I was very young and working at my first job out of college and talked to my friend about how much money we had, which wasn't much. A stranger ended up giving us (via the waitress) a $10 bill. That was a lot of money back then! It was amazing.
That is absolutely great - I love it.
It also makes me think about how often I leave the house without thinking too much about how I look and whoa - maybe other people are making judgments about me based on that. What a scary thought! I cannot wait to hear what creative way you come up with to pay it forward. What a great way to teach your kids about the power (and pleasure) in giving!
Sometimes people just amaze me. Just when you think there is no more human kindness left in the world, along comes a sweet old gentleman to restore our faith in the world.
Great story.
This is awesome. I laughed out loud and was deeply moved, all at the same time.
When can we all get together again?
You and DEboy could make a great panhandling team.
I am tempted to submit my name for the $20. But I am sure you can find someone more needy than I am in Appalachia.
What an excellent story, and what a kind generous man! Wherever you put the $20, God will see that it does the most good. It is definitely blessed money.
What a pleasurable post to read. There really are some gentlemen left and some very wonderful acts of kindness. You have a heart of gold too.
CJ xx
Wow. That is too fabulous of a story. I can't wait to hear how you end up paying it forward.
What a great story--and it never would have happened if you'd followed your plans.
What a lovely person! and a great story.
Such an interesting afternoon you had! I, too, am waiting to here the second half of this saga.
Awwww, I'm guessing that man is feeling very good about the poor, hungry mother and child he helped feed. Since you are in a small town, I wonder if you'll see him again?
That's the sweetest story! Thank you for telling it!
That is a lovely story.
Sounds like you're getting too good at the acting there!
Maybe you just need to keep it until you come across someone else in similar circumstances, but real!
Post a Comment