Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bits and Pieces

Let's see. It's January 17. We have half an inch of snow on the ground, it's hovering in the 20s, and the Queen is languishing with a nasty cold accompanied by cough. So far DeBoy and I have avoided, although he woke up very hoarse and I have a scratchy throat this morning. My problem is my allergies are so bad it takes awhile before I know whether it's actually a cold. So we haven't been to dancing or tumbling this week. It seemed rude to take an obviously ill child to mingle with a roomful of other children who may or may not be in the same condition. Although there are some people around here who have no such scruples, which is why the Queen has a cold in the first place. Anyway.

I've started rehearsals for a play called Sylvia. I play the title character, who happens to be a dog. No, really, an actual dog. A Poodle/Lab mix. It involves a lot of kneeling (sitting) on the concrete stage floor, and I can only find one knee pad. Could be a long five weeks. Last night's rehearsal was the most exercise of that sort I've had in a long time. Lots of jumping up off the ground from a kneeling or sitting position. Today my legs feel like I've been doing squats, you remember, those awful things we had to do in gym class, and which I haven't done since, because really, who is that masochistic? Sarah Jessica Parker played this role on Broadway, but she was in her early 30s at the time. I'll let you know how a 45-year-old with rheumatoid arthritis does.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The crud has been going around here so long that it is in re-run mode. Very depressing, although I have become immune to the sounds of hacking and sneezing over time.

You play a DOG?!? How intriguing! Now I have to look up more information on this play!

Hidden Wizard said...

Woof! Woof!

And da'Wizard slithers off into the woods......

Liv said...

oof! i hope that the play is a smashing success and that you and the family stay healthy!

MLL said...

You're a labradoodle!!! I love labradoodles :-)

Marcia

Ragtop Day said...

Ohmygosh - I saw "Sylvia" at the Cape Cod Theater back in...1996?? Stephanie Zimbalist (of Remington Steele fame) played Sylvia. While I don't remember the storyline very well, I do remember enjoying it! Wish I could come see you in it!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll be a much cuter Labradooodle than SJP. Who ever heard of a dog in Manolos, anyway? You are tagged.

Janet said...

Cool! (the play, not the illness).

Shannon said...

Oooh, keep us up to date on the play. That sounds like fun.

My girls have a cold too. Blech.

JCK said...

Hey, congrats on the Sylvia role! I only know of the script, never had the audacity to audition for the role. Maybe that's what I should have done... Keep us posted on it all!

Hope you didn't get that crud!

Lauri said...

What fun to do the play!

Hope everyone feels better.

Anonymous said...

Today is dark and cloudy here. And cold. A perfect day to feel like crap and lie around the house. Hope everyone in your house is on the mend soon.