Monday, March 3, 2008

A Comedy of Errors

This post may dissolve into a pity party puddle. Consider yourself warned.
We finished up the last weekend of Sylvia. Audience members totalled 18. For all 3 shows. Granted, Friday night was cold and nasty, spitting snow, and the championship local high school ball game took place then. We had 2 (two) people in the audience. But they laughed in all the right places, so it wasn't entirely like playing to an empty house. However, if it had been an empty house we could have gone back home. Saturday night was the big crowd - 9. Including hubby who attended a 2nd time. (Friends who came last week babysat. The friends who babysat last week so he could come never came at all, so we don't know what happened there.) Of course, Saturday night Earl Thomas Conley was in town, and from the looks of the parking lot, everyone from the tri-county area was in attendance. Sunday afternoon was gorgeous. Sunny and in the 60s. The nerve-jangling event on Sunday was about a half-hour before curtain the fire alarm went off. Lights flashing, this god-awful honking blare that echoed in every room of the tiled college rooms and hallways. Fortunately it was a nice day. We all finished our makeup outside. The fire department came and couldn't do anything about it (nice to know, eh?). The maintenance guy who was trying to fix it told us it had been acting up all day. He had to call his supervisor to come fix it. Finally he stopped the noise but the lights were still flashing, including the two inside the theatre. We taped black masking up over those lights. At 1 minute to curtain they stopped. And, I know you can do the math, 7 were in attendance, including a family of 4 who are friends of ours. But they were a good audience as well (as was the Saturday night crowd, er, handful of folks). But we all knew at least 4 people each who promised faithfully they would come (which would have meant at least 24 in the audience). So it will be interesting to see what happened. But I had better never again hear from anyone in this town that there isn't anything cultural. I'm liable to throttle them.
Here are a couple of pictures from the big event. More later.

This outfit was commonly referred to as "pink and fluffy." The dress is actually a CHILD SIZE bridesmaid dress. The sleeves had to be cut apart and it is only buttoned at the neck. In this particular scene I am verbally abusing an invisible cat. (Talk about some acting prowess - I love cats.) This flattering pose is the picture that ran in the newspaper.
Here is where Kate informs Sylvia rather emphatically that she will do everything she can to have a dog-free home. Kate is played by my husband's administrative assistant. We decided that our audience would have been better if we had advertised thusly: "Come see Ms. T beat up the boss's wife." The fight scene got more and more brutal with every performance. When I get the DVD I'll post a clip.

10 comments:

Hidden Wizard said...

Now that is a REAL bummer! You have a right to be ill. How do y'all's play get advertised?

da'Wizard

Suldog said...

Sylvia is a good play. I saw it performed in Boston last year at The Lyric Stage.

I was once part of a 3 person audience for a play with a cast of 6 or 7. Well, when we arrived at the theater (in the middle of a blizzard) we had no idea that nobody else would show other than our party. We wondered afterwards if the cast would have rather we didn't show, too. I guess you've answered that :-)

Janet said...

wizard, we advertise by using posters, word of mouth, emailing everyone we know, the newspaper (both of them every week for 3 weeks in advance), and two radio stations.

Suldog, actually our Friday night audience of 2 were 2 lovely ladies who appreciated the show very much and laughed in all the right places. Most of us are basically theatre whores who just love being on stage. I'm sure the play you saw appreciated your braving the storm to watch them do what they love.

Anonymous said...

Doing what you love and doing it well. Some people wait their whole lives and never get to do this.

Liv said...

Wow. I always felt pooped when productions ran foul. You try, and you pursue your craft. What else is there?

Janet said...

I'm sorry about the poor turn out. How very disappointing for you all.

Lauri said...

Oh my god what a dress!

I'm sorry you had such a low turnout. Wish we could have been in your audience!

JCK said...

That would be challenging to play for such small houses. But, it sounds like things went well and they now have art in your town! ;)

Anonymous said...

Consider your audience to have swelled to 19! I felt I was there! Lovely article, and that dress!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this site. I am quite impressed that you have your own blog. I am always amazed at myself for being able to send a "merged" e-mail to our classmates (and let's face it...I don't do that all that well!)