Monday, November 10, 2008

She Wants to Know WHAT?

The Queen seems to be on a quest for information, and is pursuing a whole raft of misinformation which figures in her very active imagination in the games she plays, and for which she recruits her unsuspecting brother and parents.

Tonight, she told her father that he needed to play one more game before bed. In this game, they were to "lay raccoon eggs." When she says "lay," she really means to sit on and hatch. She told her father the following:
"You need to hatch lots of eggs because you have a great big butt."

She was a bit confused as to why we both fell over laughing. (And for the record, there is nothing wrong at all about the Mountain Man's posterior.)
__________________________

The next day I was a bit horror-stricken to overhear the following:
"How did I get out of Mommy's belly when I was a baby?"
"Maybe you'd better let your mother explain that to you."

blatant coward

"Mommy, how did I get out of your belly when I was a baby?"

enter blatant coward #2

"They made a cut in my belly and reached in and pulled you out, then they sewed me back up as good as new."

What? It's the TRUTH!!!! (Well, except for the "good as new" part.) Thank God for the C-section.
____________________________

She's also becoming quite the artist. She decided to do a project the other day. She found a foam star, traced around it onto paper, cut out the tracing, glued it on another piece of paper and decorated it with glitter paint. She did all of this, including coming up with the idea, all by herself.
And here's what she did with the original star (she is learning that markers don't work terribly well on tape).
At Storytime the other day they read a book about fall leaves and Miss J had a bunch of colorful leaves for the children to use to make pictures. The Queen got a huge leaf and used beads to make a face on it, with smaller leaves for hair. (DeBoy picked out several pretty leaves to put on the page, which is the most participation he's offered for that sort of thing.) (And can I just say glue dots may be the greatest things ever invented?)
____________________________

DeBoy has also taken to "reading" the books from our shelves. The other day he got out ALL the Harry Potter books. Of course, I missed that with the camera. But I caught him putting them away. It was bit of a struggle given that the shelf is at his face level and those books weigh almost as much as he does. He put one back, looked at it for a minute as compared with the others, then proclaimed, "No, no, no, it's upside down." Which it was.After he got done with that he pulled out a collection of plays by Sam Shepard.
_________________________________
The Christmas cactus is still blooming.

I asked the cashier in Walmart last night how soon he would get tired of hearing the Christmas music.
"Three weeks ago."
Remember those people when you go to the store.

13 comments:

Ragtop Day said...

Ugh - I would hate to work retail for that very reason - the music would drive me insane!!!

Mrs. G. said...

I love all the artistic varations on those sweet little leaves.

Anonymous said...

Oh, God...no! Christmas music already! I may be sick!

Unknown said...

Your kids are too smart! And please, don't get me started on Christmas music. I'm already about to swear off WalMart until the new year...

Anvilcloud said...

She's quite the imaginative little person -- and artist too. Better than what I could do.

Suldog said...

You should have said, "Well, see, there's this movie called Alien. We'll watch it together some time, and then you'll know."

Janet said...

The cashier said they start the Christmas music November 1 at the stroke of midnight. I'd love to swear off Walmart, but unfortunately I don't have another option here.

Suldog, I shut my eyes during that part of Alien. But I'm pretty sure he didn't get an epidural.

Alison Kerr said...

Thanks for today's dose of laughter. Christmas music? Huh, I must just tune it out because I'm so focused on getting the shopping over with as quick and painlessly as possible. Either that or I've not been shopping in weeks. My memory has increasing holes in it!

Kellan said...

Yes, Thank God of C-Sections - HA! Pretty art!

Have a good evening - Kellan

Crazed Nitwit said...

What's a glue dot and damnit, why didn't they have them 18 years ago? Huh? Huh? Your children are quite artisitc!!

Huge Hugs for one of my fav blog friends. HUGS!

Alison Kerr said...

The Queen's question inspired my blog post of today. Somehow I just couldn't get it out of my head!

S said...

i love these vignettes, these peeks into your family's life.

(and i love the Queen's art!)

Paula said...

Your babies are so creative and brilliant!! Love reading your posts!