Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Something Else for You to Do

So approximately 12 1/2 minutes after I posted yesterday's dissertation, I received an email from Kentuckians For The Commonwealth. I would have added it to that post, but it just made me tired thinking about it. So here it is today.

As President Bush quacks and limps his way out of office in the next two months, he's doing his best to weaken or eliminate as many environmental protections as he possibly can. One wonders what in his childhood has made him such an adamant opponent of nature. But anyway, one of those protections that is particularly important to coalfield communities is the Stream Buffer Zone rule, which requires that the impacts of mining be kept at least 100 feet away from any stream.

The U.S. Office of Surface Mining (about whom I complained yesterday) has reworded the rule, so that it actually encourages coal companies to mine in streams. They do this already due to the refusal of the President and our current Governor (who has turned out to be a great disappointment, may I add) to enforce this law. OSM's plan is to make this rule change final this month. However, the buffer zone rule really needs to be left in place and in fact strengthened and, most importantly, enforced.

Visit I Love Mountains.org to sign on to a letter to the directors of OSM and the EPA once again opposing this change (deadline November 23).

This is repeating some of what I said yesterday, but I'm quoting it verbatim.

"We also know that ignoring the stream buffer zone rule only scratches the surface of the wrong that has been done and is being done to coalfield communities, our land, water and heritage. So much more is needed to protect our earth and reverse our dependence on and submission to fossil fuels. KFTC believes that substantial investments in 'green' energy sources that do no harm to our earth and help reverse the damage already done are key to an economic revitalization, and that those communities most impacted by coal mining ought to be where investments are made.

"Do you share a similar vision? The incoming Obama administration would like to hear about your vision. Go to www.change.gov. You can remind them that stopping mountaintop removal and valley fills and enforcing the Stream Buffer Zone rule need to be immediate priorities. What other change do you want to help bring about in our energy economy and the ways we care for the earth and one another? Share your vision and help shape a more sustainable and survivable energy future for Kentucky and the world."

And check out my blogger's challenge on the right if you want to get one for your blog.

6 comments:

Patois42 said...

I just signed up on your Blogger's Challenge. This is such a worthwhile cause. Spreading the word is definitely a good first step.

Lauri said...

I will sign up, too. I think that you need to send your article in to some newspapers or news blog sites. It's really well done, and for those of us who don't live there - well, it's just not making the news in other places.

Kellan said...

I need to go over and chec out this site - thanks! My family is from West Virginia - coal mining country. My grandfather had black lung and died of a heart attack at age 40. I know a little about mountains and coal mining, but don't live around either anymore. I'll go over. Thanks - Kellan

Lauri said...

Janet, try
http://www.npr.org/contact/

http://blog.wired.com/
(they lean toward more technical news - computer stuff, but natural resources are going to be a hot topic)

and

http://www.boingboing.net/suggest.html

Anonymous said...

It's almost as if Bush is determined to make Obama's tenure as difficult as possible.

Lauri said...

Oh, and try Huffington Post too.