Remember this view from my house? This picture was taken November 2007. (The post was a year ago today. I would like to say that was deliberate on my part, but that would be a big lie.)
Here is what it looks like now. (Actually, I was wrong in my prediction. I thought you wouldn't be able to see any of it by now. But it's still a lot shorter!) I wanted to do this in November for the 1-year mark, but I couldn't remember to take the camera down the hill until yesterday. (And can I say how much I hate Kodak EasyShare? Half the pictures I took won't download to the program, and after I did it manually, they aren't showing up in the album, even though they're perfectly fine on the camera. We NEVER had this much trouble with the Nikon software.)
(It really is the same view - the Mountain Man took the first picture somewhere in the driveway. Apparently I wasn't in the same spot in the driveway. It's also more colorful in November than March.)
However, my procrastination proved timely, because the Clean Water Protection Act was introduced on the House floor on Wednesday. The following info is from
ilovemountains.org.
'Reps. Frank Pallone (D-NJ-06), Dave Reichert (R-WA-08), and John Yarmouth (D-KY-03) introduced the bill [Wednesday] morning with 117 bi-partisan co-sponsors, more than double the number of original co-sponsors from the 110th Congress! [Blogger's note: A Kentucky representative is a co-sponsor!]
'The Clean Water Protection Act restores the integrity of the landmark 1977 legislation, The Clean Water Act, which was enacted by Congress to "restore and maintain the chemical, physical, and biological integrity of the Nation's waters." For 25 years, the Clean Water Act (CWA) allowed for the granting of permits to place "fill material" into waters of the United States, provided that the primary purpose of the "filling" was not for waste disposal. As such, the CWA prohibited mountaintop removal operations from using the nation's waterways as waste disposal sites.
'That changed in 2002, when the Army Corps of Engineers, under the direction of the Bush administration and without congressional approval, altered its longstanding definition of "fill material" to include mining waste. This change, which the CWPA would reverse, accelerated the devastating practice of mountaintop removal coal mining and the destruction of more than 1,200 miles of Appalachian streams.
'For more information on the CWPA including a current list of co-sponsors and links to other online coverage of this issue go to:
Thank you.
________________________

13 comments:
Oh! Crocuses, some of my favorites. We are supposed to get snow tomorrow but the tree pollen continues to plague me 24/7. You live in a lovely place. :)
HUGZ.
Wow! That is scary. Love the nature shots, happy little flowers v's scary fungus dragon! Cool.xx
Those spots of color somehow make me feel so cheerful--a thousand miles away and it makes me smile.
Pretty flowers. Doesn't offset the other though. Don't give up.
How pretty. Ours are about at the same stage here, and now the daffodils are filling the verges and roadside banls.
I certainly remember you writing on this topic. It's sad.
Meanwhile, thanks so much for the flower photos. We're still not close, but it does my heart good to see your spring bulbs coming up.
Lovely to see the crocuses again, isn't it?
The crocuses pushing through the long dead leaves is a lovely introduction to spring, and the beauty of your mountain. Keep up the hard work, Janet. It sounds promising.
Well, here's wishing you good luck on the legislation. I'm not one who ever expects the government to get it right, though.
Those pictures are startling, and really show the effects of what this is doing better than any words. Wow.
Crocuses! How lovely! And springlike! Any crocuses under the ground in my yard will have to plow through a foot of snow, so I really love being able to enjoy yours!
Crocuses! Lucky you.
But the ravaging of the majestic mountains? Breaks my heart.
Seeing the crocus reminds me of my part in my kindergarten graduation ceremony about colors. "Green is the crocus popping out of the snow." After all these years...
i looked at all your snow pics. then i came here. and saw all your spring pics. and i'm laughing. because that ALWAYS happens. here in michigan, one minute the flowers are starting to pop out of the ground, the next minute we have a snowstorm of epic proportions!!
xoxo
Post a Comment