My daughter is missing her best friend today, but she doesn't quite realize the enormity yet. Isabelle joined the gymnastics class during the spring and she and The Queen were the only two 3-year-olds at the time, so they naturally gravitated to each other, but they became good friends, hugging each other goodbye and running to say hello every time they saw each other. Isabelle and her mom, S, came to storytime at the library, too, so they saw each other 2 days a week, and the Queen always asked, "Will Mizabelle be there?" whenever we headed out the door to the library or tumbling class. And Isabelle's mom and I got to be good friends as well.
But Friday we got a phone call which we unfortunately missed because we were gone for the day, in which we were informed that they were on their way to Arizona. They'd been planning it for a couple of weeks (which seems like a really short time to me - it takes me two weeks to plan a day trip). So when they called they were already an hour out of town. I will admit to being a bit hurt that S hadn't chosen to confide in me, but my real dilemma was how to explain to the Queen that Isabelle wasn't coming back. When I said today was library day, she asked the usual question, and I explained that Isabelle wouldn't be there because she had moved to a different house and town very far away and she would be going to a different library for storytime. So then she asked, "Will she be at tumbling?" So it's going to take a few weeks to sink in that Isabelle is gone forever. And it breaks my heart for her because for all her intelligence and cleverness and general "grown-up-ness", she's still just a baby and she doesn't understand. And how can I explain something I don't understand myself?
Monday, August 13, 2007
Moving Away
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
That's sad. I remember a good friend of mine from grade school moved to Hawaii due to climate requirements his doctor advised him of...he had Hodgkins Disease. I visited him in Hawaii and years later his family moved to North Carolina. We stayed in touch and he came to visit me during the fall of 1976. I knew when we shook hands and gave each other a hug when he departed for home that this was probably the last time we would see each other. He died 3 months later.
Give that girl a hug for me. A good friend who leaves is something that sticks to your gut.
Post a Comment