My daemon settled into its final form - a spider - after being a snow leopard again for over a week.
Oh well, it was fun. Thank goodness it isn't real. I may try it again and see what happens.
And now for the point of this post . . .
I picked up a copy of Real Simple magazine a couple of weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was 12 pages of ads before any content appeared. What I should have noticed was the cover.
Some of the topics: Organize your garage (we don't have one).
Simply your beauty routine (most days I'm doing well if I remember to brush my hair).
Easy decorating: 45 great websites (45! How long would that take?)
No Cook Meals (the Mountain Man does the cooking and is vegetarian - all these meals included meat.)
So already I'm batting zero for this magazine. But I start reading anyway. The people whose garage got organized were apparently extremely well-off because organizing them required the purchase of a great deal of storage closets and containers. Not the cheap ones either.
Then there was the fashion section - this season is for sweaters! None of them were terribly attractive and they ranged in price from $100 to $495. My clothing budget for the year is about $100, and I'm certainly not going to plunk that down on one ugly sweater.
The easy decorating one basically involved lots of new purchases from the aforementioned 45 websites. Enough said.
The last article was a "reader profile." I'm sure she is a lovely woman but what struck me is that she is around my age and her "difficult decision" was whether or not to go back to work. She has no children and her husband makes lots of money. She thought going back to work would enable them to travel more and retire sooner. Somehow I couldn't call up a lot of sympathy for her plight. Call me bitter.
Anyway, Real Simple is apparently for rich people, so I won't bother getting another one.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
Real Simple - NOT!
Posted by
Janet
at
5:38 PM
Labels: philosophy, rant
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
I recommend Mother Earth News. Much better reading and more useful information....and ads.
da'Wizard
Post a Comment